Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Canby Mayor Statement on Inclusivity

 

Canby Mayor Statement on Inclusivity

Canby Mayor Statement on Inclusivity

By Brian Hodson, Mayor of Canby

As mayor, I am deeply committed to fostering an inclusive community, where all voices are heard, and all citizens feel valued. One of the council's core values is building an Inclusive Community, which means I am dedicated to open communication and outreach, ensuring that no one is left out.

While I did not approve a proclamation for Transgender Day of Visibility, it’s important to understand that my approach is not about excluding any group, but rather, ensuring that all segments of our community are recognized and heard. If I proclaim one commemorative holiday, I leave others out—whether it's Hispanic Heritage MonthBlack History Month, or Older Persons Day, as a few examples.

Instead of focusing on proclamations, I believe in taking actionable steps. I have had open discussions with members of the transgender community at a public forum at the Canby Public Library, and I’ve actively investigated challenges faced by LGBTQ students by meeting with the district's police liaison and high school staff.

Canby has a 25% Hispanic population. Many of them are my friends. I have had meaningful conversations with many members of this community by attending Bridging Culture events and connecting with Iglesia Del Dios Vivo La Luz Del Mundo, among others.

My commitment is to engage with and support all groups, not through symbolic gestures, but through tangible actions that drive meaningful change for all citizens of Canby. All members of the Canby community should feel welcome at our city council meetings; if there are ever any issues, citizens can email me directly with their concerns or come speak before the council.

You can read all of the City of Canby City Council's Core Values and goals here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...